I quickly began making various combinations of dye mixes and before I knew it I had 36 fat quarters in 16 oz Solo cups doing their chemical thing. Rinsing the dye out was a bit like Christmas - or perhaps fireworks - Ooh - Ahh.
By the end of the day I arrived home with a bag of fabrics that needed to be washed and dried and this is what came out of my dryer. More oohing and aahing.
36 fat quarters
Not bad for a first attempt.
The following day I set up my own dyeing station outside. Not as cushy as Susan's but still very manageable. Rather than attack so many colors, I decided to try chartreuse and China red. I also had some black, blue violet and Cayman Island green left over so I wanted to finish those so they didn't go to waste. Having used up all my Pimatex, I used some PFD Kona cotton that I had, some velveteen and overdyed some commercial prints that I had purchased for this purpose. I also overdyed some fabrics that I just thought were ugly. Here is what came of my solo flight of dyeing.
The left side is the leftover blue violet and Cayman Island green. The blue violet velveteen is my favorite. The right side are the chartreuse and China red mixed with yellow or black leftover dye. All in all, I'm very happy with this batch.
However, this can be addicting. I have already ordered more fabric and soda ash. Just a word of warning to those of you who haven't tried this yet.