As a habit, I don't generally do a lot of representational work. I love working in the abstract and I love making collages that are randomly arranged. However, every once in a while I get an idea that sticks long enough for me to do something with it. This simple piece actually has some more interesting aspects to it, so I thought I would share it with you.
The blue background is hand dyed cotton that I did using a low water immersion technique. The table at the bottom is a collection of black and white batiks that I had. I put Mistyfuse on the back of the batiks, cut them with a wavy blade rotary cutter and fused them together to make a more interesting texture for a table.
The stems and leaves were also done by fusing small pieces of randomly arranged green fabrics. It adds a whimsical feel to the piece, while still being representational. The petals were a variety of yellow batiks and almost solids, which gives the flowers a more realistic look - since flower petals can sometimes appear varied in color when they catch the light. The vase is a red batik that I quilted in such a way as to add dimension.
As an aside, I also put together this quick project using black quilters cotton and some silk yarn that I purchased at a quilt show. The vase inside I picked up at our town wide garage sales in September and it was in a "free" box. It was a pretty non-descript clear glass vase but, I knew that I could use it for a functional project.
Thanks for visiting the blog. Feel free to leave a comment. My next post will include shells and stones that I collect at the Jersey shore. As I work on it, I can't help but think of the people who lost so much and are still struggling down there. I hope to finish it soon before the power is restored in the rest of the state and I have to return to work. Although a little normalcy would be very welcome here.